Early in 1955, some individuals in the PCUSA felt they could no longer stay with that denomination due to liberal trends in the church’s theology. Letters of interest in establishing a reformed work in Hampton were sent to the Reformed Presbyterian Church, then called the Bible Presbyterian Church. With that denomination’s guidance and support, the first meetings of what became CRPC were held on March 11 and 13 at a local civic hall with approximately 20 in attendance. On July 11, 1955, Calvary Reformed Presbyterian Church was officially particularized as a church with 12 in attendance and the pulpit supplied by ministerial students from Faith Seminary in Philadelphia. In November 1955, Reverend William Smith was called as the first pastor of the new group of believers and a poorly constructed house with 3.4 acres of land was bought on Whealton Road in Hampton. Services were held in the existing building until September 1957, when it was decided to build a permanent sanctuary on the site. The new sanctuary was dedicated on June 7, 1959, with a record attendance of 156.
The next month, Reverend Smith was dismissed by the congregation for embarrassing conduct. He was replaced by Reverend Charles Gosling from St. Louis, Missouri, who served until July 1963 when he resigned to pursue a teaching ministry. The following October, Reverend Ken Wolf was extended a call to the pastorate which he accepted and served as pastor until 1973.
In that year, Reverend David Kiewiet replaced Reverend Wolf and served as senior pastor until he felt a call to pursue missionary work in Australia. In January 1985, he was replaced by, Kerry W. (“Pete”) Hurst who had previously served as senior pastor at Faith Presbyterian Church, a PCA church in Birmingham, Alabama. In April 1994, the church expanded its staff to include Reverend Byron Snapp as associate pastor. Pastor Snapp had been an associate pastor and Christian school principal at a church in Cedar Bluff, Virginia, until the school closed its doors. One of his initial duties at CRPC included serving as principal to the newly established Calvary Classical School which opened in the fall of 1995. The church continued to enjoy growth over the years and membership has increased from its modest roots to over 200 current members.
In January 2013, Jeff Ferguson was installed as the new senior and Pete Hurst assumed a part-time associate pastor role. He had previously served for ten years as a campus minister with Reformed University Fellowship, the denominational campus ministry of the PCA. Over the course of the next few years, the church experienced several staff changes with the retirements of Byron Snapp (2014) and Pete Hurst (2015). In recognition for the Lord's grace and provision to His church for so many years through Pete Hurst, the congregation elected him as a pastor emeritus upon his retirement. T.J. Schley, a recent graduate of Reformed Theological Seminary in Charlotte, NC, was ordained and installed in June 2015 as the new full-time associate pastor.
May the Lord continue to use Calvary Reformed Presbyterian Church to glorify His name!